This Blog is a place where I can safely keep everything useful for Ubuntu, and maybe help others with.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Installing R, Emacs and ESS in Ubuntu

When using R under Ubuntu, You need to tell your Ubuntu system where to obtain R from.
This is easly done by adding the url location to the repository list. I tend to do this using the
application gedit (can be found under
Application > Accessories > Text Editor). The sudo gives the user
admin rights to edit the file. This line is typed into a terminal window (found under
Application > Accessories > Terminal).

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

I want to add the Melbourne repo so I added

deb http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/linux/ubuntu jaunty/

to the end of the file.

Save and close gedit.

Now update the repo


sudo apt-get update

To update the key so the automatically update R.

gpg --export --armor E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add -


to install R run

sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev r-recommended

To run R open a terminal window, and type

R


website: http://www.r-project.org/

Now install Emacs - The best R editor I have found, so far.

sudo apt-get install emacs

website: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

Now emacs is installed you need to install ESS (Emacs speaks statistics)

sudo apt-get install ess


website:
http://ess.r-project.org/



On a side (Briefly)

to install packages in R use the command with R

install.packages("package")


No comments:

Post a Comment